TMD SA

supercub

japanese
I want to know the meaning of an abbreviation "TMD SA".

The sentence is "This is of great interest as it is a potential market for TMD SA."

It was found in the article about South Africa's Railway company.
So I suppose "SA" stands for "South Africa", is it correct?
I do not found any proper explanation for "TMD".

Can anyone explain the meaning of "TMD SA"?

Thanks in advance.

• supercub

japanese
    Thanks for your reply.

The context is like this.
    "Some of the greatest buzz is around the railway operator and its R123 billion rolling stock renewal fleet programme.
    This is a 20 year investment strategy to replace PRASA’s existing fleet and allow for expansion to accommodate growth and planned extensions to the PRASA network.
    This is of great interest as it is a potential market for TMD SA."

Can anyone guess the meaning of "TMD SA" here?

supercub

japanese
    I am afraid that I do not have it's link online.
    It was found in the small article I have.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Still, what was the publication? Was it about prospects for investment? Or what was its subject matter?

In other words, why are you interested in this?

Added: I ask because the rest of the quotation appears on several websites, without the sentence in question. It appears to me that someone took an existing article and added that sentence for some reason.

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I'm sorry, Parla, but I really don't think that fits the context.
    Note: PRASA = Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa​

Some of the greatest buzz is around the railway operator and its R123 billion rolling stock renewal fleet programme.

This is a 20 year investment strategy to replace the PRASA's [=Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa's] existing fleet and allow for expansion to accommodate growth and planned extensions to the PRASA [Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa] network.
    This is of great interest as it is a potential market for Tactical Missile Defense South Africa.​

Barque

Tamil
    I think it's either a reference to TMD Friction Holdings's South African affiliate or to TMD Friction Group S.A., a Luxembourg company.

If the latter, S.A. doesn't stand for South Africa but for Société Anonyme which is a suffix used at the end of the name of a public limited company in certain countries. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.A._(corporation)

Perhaps TMD Friction Group S.A. saw potential for a contract in relation to PRASA's expansion programme.

supercub

japanese
    Thank you everyone, really appreciate your help.:)

Now I suppose that Barque's explanation is proper.

As Cagey mentioned above, I found that some sentences of the article on websites, but could not find any useful information about TMS SA regarding South Africa's railway.

Thanks again!

< Previous | Next >