to a greater extent(degree)

flyingcat2008

china,chino
1. It is because here we unleashed the energy and individual genius of man to a greater extent than has ever been done before.

2. ....a political system which guarantees individual liberty to a greater degree than any other.

Hi, everyone!

If I exchange "has ever been done before" into No2., "any other" into No.1, both sentence are still grammatically correct?

Thank you!!

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    Hmm, I don't like them; you can use similar phrases to substitute, but not the exact bolded parts.

Two examples that I see as correct, just for comparison:
    "It is because here we unleashed the energy and individual genius of man to a greater extent than at any other place."
    "... a political system which guarantees individual liberty to a greater degree has never existed before this."

The reason seems to be the earlier parts of the sentence which the bolded phrases describe.
    You can't have "any other" apply to "here" (which it would) nor does it sound correct to say that political systems are "done."

Forero

"Any other" does not fit sentence 1 because there is no noun to be implied after "other":

... a political system which guarantees individual liberty to a greater degree than (does) any other (political system).

... we unleashed the energy and individual genius of man to a greater extent than any other (energy? extent? what?).

< Previous | Next >