to a level Stephen King can't comprehend in this, his sixth novel

Stephen Schmidt

Arabic
Hi everyone,
I'm reading praises on Primal Fear, what does "comprehend" here mean? To understand? Or to include?

Absolutely chilling... Heart-pounding ... Diehl (the author) has taken horror to a new level
Stephen King can't comprehend in this, his sixth novel, a surefire winner...
Thanks.

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    What's the source please?
    'Comprehend' isn't normally ( correctly?) used with 'in'.
    Regardless of the source, 'comprehend in' something would be wrong because comprehend takes a direct object or a full clause.
    However, and it's a huge 'however', you did not give us the whole sentence, so we don't know what the writer means. What did King not understand? I can't think that it means 'include', but you are the one with the answer!

Added: I ask again, what is the source? After reading exgerman's post, I suspect that an important comma is missing.

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    I dont know who Diehl is, but I think I understand this. This is how I see it.

Stephen King is a well-known writer of horror stories, so this is a favorable comparison of Diehl's work with King's. Diehl has taken horror to a level even King (the king of horror!) cannot comprehend in this (Primal Fear), his novel...

The "in" does not belong with "comprehend" but with the following phrase - in this novel.

< Previous | Next >