to acknowledge the past

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
Does the green part of the context imply "to show the defects of the past and the problems caused by the desire for and the consumption of these species"?

Context:
Carlee Fernandez’s sculptural parodies of Audubon’s bird illustrations that become wall assemblages, and John Salvest’s arrangement of stuffed sparrows on cable wire spell out the word ‘FLY’ are more examples of how contemporary artists are employing the bird to acknowledge the past, as well as issues of desire and consumption of these species.

(Art and Laughter by Sheri Klein)

• anahiseri

Spanish (Spain) and German (Germany)
    acknowledge is NOT "show the defects", but almost the opposite: accept, admit.
    I think the rest is more or less OK. But I'm not sure if problem is the equivalent of issue in this context.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Issue" here would mean a "point, matter, or dispute" worthy of discussion.

"...to acknowledge [...] issues"? Perhaps, but I think she means "as well as raising issues of desire and consumption of these species".

anahiseri

Spanish (Spain) and German (Germany)
    "Issue" here would mean a "point, matter, or dispute" worthy of discussion.

"...to acknowledge [...] issues"? Perhaps, but I think she means "as well as raising issues of desire and consumption of these species".
    to acknowledge the past is OK, you're right it doesn't fit very well with the issues.

< Previous | Next >