to add mustard to something

< Previous | Next >

ekbatana

German Austria
I'd like to know what "to add mustard to" means in the figurative context, e.g. to add mustard to one's life. Does it mean to emphasize something or to add spice to something? Below is a sentence where I think it means to emphasize something. Thanks in advance for your replies!

To add mustard to the county's truth distortion, let me point out an item that was agendized correctly - relative to letting citizens know what was being discussed.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    I think it means precisely to add spice, to add zest or excitement. As it is informal and would likely confuse at least some readers, I wouldn't use it in more formal contexts. I find the phrase as used in your sample sentence confusing.

ekbatana

German Austria
    Thanks a lot for your quick reply! I know that this particular sentence does not make much sense but I couldn't find anything better. That happens to me all the time because I pick up these expressions mostly whilst watching TV (CNN World or American series) and some of them are informal/spoken only or not idioms or expressions but just used in one particular context.

< Previous | Next >