to advert

< Previous | Next >

teatom

German, fluent in English and Spanish
HI everyone! I am pretty sure to have heard the expression "to advért sb about sth" (=draw the attention to) but now I cannot find it anywhere. Does some WR member know about this kind of espression !!!

• simonitov

English - British
    to advertise

1. to present or praise (goods, a service, etc) to the public, esp in order to encourage sales
    2. to make (something, such as a vacancy, article for sale, etc) publicly known, as to possible applicants, buyers, etc ⇒ to advertise a job
    3. (intransitive) foll by for to make a public request (for), esp in a newspaper, etc ⇒ she advertised for a cook
    4. (obsolete) to warn; caution

The Newt

English - US
    According to the dictionary I have at hand, "advert" as a verb means "refer," as in "he adverted to the fact that the dog had only three legs." It's not a verb that is often used, at least in the US.

gengo

American English
    I am pretty sure to have heard the expression "to advért sb about sth" (=draw the attention to) but now I cannot find it anywhere. Does some WR member know about this kind of espression !!!
    You may be thinking of alert, which fits perfectly in that context.

Ex.
    She alerted me about the change of ownership.

aztlaniano

English (Aztlán, US sector)
    "Advert" is a real verb in English (fijarse en algo, darse cuenta de algo, aludir a algo). Others may have inadvertently passed it over.
    advert

verb ad·vert \ad-ˈvərt\
    Definition of ADVERT
    intransitive verb
    : to turn the mind or attention —used with to <adverted to the speaker>
    : to call attention in the course of speaking or writing : make reference —used with to <adverted to foreign-language sources>

< Previous | Next >