To agree with someone on something

< Previous | Next >



I'm just trying to translate the following sentences into English:

¿Por qué no llegaste a un acuerdo con tu casero para que alquilara tu habitación a otra persona solo hasta que tú volvieras a la ciudad?

Why didn't you agree with your landlord on him renting out the room to someone else only until you got back in town?

Mi amigo te hará un buen precio: My friend will get you a good deal

Thanks in advance!
  • Wandering JJ

    Senior Member
    British English
    It looks fine to me. Some grammarians would say "on his renting out the room" as "renting" is a gerund (verbal noun), which is qualified by an adjective (his).


    Senior Member
    Eng (Canada)
    I might change it ever so slightly. Instead of simply 'agree', I think it is more like 'come to an agreement', or better yet 'comes to terms' with you landlord.


    Senior Member
    English United States
    Hi, Floyd, I would agree with Donbeto about the use of "come to an agreement" as the best translation of "llegar a un acuerdo" and with Wandering JJ about "on his renting out your room," but to me that possessive "his" is a requirement of standard English as the subject of that gerund. It is becoming common in everyday English to use the direct object pronoun as subject of the gerund, but, at least in AE, I believe it is still considered non-standard English. :)
    < Previous | Next >