"To arrange a meeting" - informal

Franciszek Kolpanowicz

Polish
Hello,

I have a trouble finding an informal equivalent of the expression "to arrange a meeting" which - unless I'm wrong - wouldn't be used when I'm referring to a meeting with a friend. For example:

- Hey, have you seen Mark recently?
- No, but [...] next week.

"I've arranged a meeting with him" instead of [...] feels way too formal to me. I'm not sure about "we've arranged to meet" - does this also sound formal to you? What other expression would be natural in this context?

• Franciszek Kolpanowicz

Polish
    "To fix up" sounds perfect, thank you!

"No, but I'm going to see him next week" - it sounds good in this context, but I'd like to stress the action of arranging the meeting. As in: "I met Tom two days ago and we've arranged to meet next week/we fixed up a meeting next week".

(a) Speaking of which - would you use the expression "we've arranged to meet next week" in an informal conversation? (That depends on the age of the speaker I guess, so let's say that the speaker is in his 20s).

(b) How about "we agreed to meet next week"? Does it sound natural?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Yes, (b) is fine, and so is (a).

If "arrange a meeting" sounds too formal, I think most of the formality derives from the word "meeting", not "arrange". "Arranged to meet" is much less formal than "arranged a meeting", because "to meet" just means to get together, whereas "a meeting" suggests a formal business-like meeting called for the purpose of discussing specific matters and reaching agreed decisions.

You can make "to meet" sound even less formal by being specific, e.g. "we've arranged to have lunch".

Of course sometimes you might want to sound a little more formal if you want to disguise certain aspects of the informality. Which of the following would your wife prefer to hear?
    "We've arranged to discuss our summer sailing plans over lunch next Tuesday." or "I'm meeting my sailing pals for a few beers next Tuesday lunchtime."

Franciszek Kolpanowicz

Polish
    Thanks for your answer Edinburger, especially for the remark on formality of "meeting" and "to arrange" - it's been very educating for me. I've always considered the verb "to arrange" quite formal, but now I wonder - maybe it's only because of the Polish equivalent, "aranżować", which sounds rather old-fashioned.

sound shift

English - England
    "No, but we're going to meet up next week" is one informal BrE possibility. However, it doesn't tell us whether the day and the time have been agreed.

I wouldn't necessarily avoid "arrange". As others have said, it is not always used in formal contexts: "We've arranged to meet (up) next week", for example, is not formal.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >