to authoritatively legitimate their advancement

< Previous | Next >

Parergon

Italiano, Italia
Can I say advancement or should I use the plural?

Such criteria allow science and research to authoritatively legitimate their advancement of the understanding, without the reinstitution of an untenable exclusive knowledge.

• suzi br

English / England

Such criteria allow science and research to authoritatively legitimate their advancement of the understanding,*1 without the reinstitution*2 of an untenable exclusive knowledge*3.
    It is a very convoluted sentence, which I suggest could benefit from a bit more debate than just the question you have posed.
    e.g.
    *1 why are you using "the" there?
    *2 sounds a very odd word choice here?
    *3 couldn't this be expressed more concisely?

As for your original question, I'd leave advancement as singular: science and research seem to be working together towards the ONE thing

Lexiphile

England English
    I know it's unfashionable to complain about split infinitives, but to split one with a six-syllable word seems somehow particularly scurrilous. By the time you reach the verb, you've forgotten that it was supposed to be infinitive. So while you're un-convoluting this sentence, if you must use authoritatively, please find somewhere else to put it. This is an awful word at the best of times, since it sounds like a stutter and interrupts the smooth flow of the sentence. Then to combine it with legitimate makes the sentence sound like a machine gun.

Egfrith

England, English
    to legitimate exists? I have never come across it. Sounds a bit like to obsolete. Namely an adjective that someone lazy has decided would be nice used as a verb. Even if it does exist (which doesn't mean much, other than some nasty people have used it), it sounds horrible :(

Surely, to legitimize is the word you were looking for ?

mirx

Banned
    Español

Such criteria allow science and research to authoritatively legitimate their advancement of the understanding, without the reinstitution of an untenable exclusive knowledge.

As empty as it sounds I like it, I just would omit the "the" right before understanding except that you are talking of a specific understanding previuosly discussed.

Cheers.

< Previous | Next >