to be all over the place (for sth, incoherent)

Luceni

Español (europeo)
Hi.

What is the meaning of to be just all over the place?
They are talking about a writer's latest book.

"I know some people love her style. And I quite enjoyed the last book, but that had a good plot and this one was just all over the place".

Thanks.

• ((Diablo))

spanish
    Maybe it would be "y esté fúe escrito cerca del lugar" or "fúe escrito en el lugar donde ocurrió "

Last edited:

Teresa68

Spanish (Spain) & Galician
    Hi everyone,

I am familiar with the meaning of "all over the place" as equivalent to the Spanish "por todas partes". However, my boyfriend used it a couple of days ago with a completely different meaning: he alluded to one of his messages as being "all over the place" in the sense of being uncoherent, a mixture of disconnected sentences or ideas. I'd never heard the expresion with that meaning. Was he right on using it in that context? (Both of us speak English quite fluently, but neither of us is a native speaker).

sky599

USA
    English, USA
    Hi everyone,

I am familiar with the meaning of "all over the place" as equivalent to the Spanish "por todas partes". However, my boyfriend used it a couple of days ago with a completely different meaning: he alluded to one of his messages as being "all over the place" in the sense of being incoherent, a mixture of disconnected sentences or ideas. I'd never heard the expression with that meaning. Was he right in using it in that context? (Both of us speak English quite fluently, but neither of us is a native speaker).
    Yes, that usage is pretty common in informal speech. I haven't heard "all over the board" used like that as bailarín said, but definitely "all over the place."