to be collected with myself

< Previous | Next >

Jazzmin

French
Dear polyglotte,

I have some uncertainties as to the excat meaning of the phrase "I need to be collected with myslef "...

Would it mean : j'ai besoin de me revtrouver avec moi même? In which context?

Or else?

Thanks for your help,

Jaz

• Jazzmin

French
    Dear! You're probably right...I've been making this mistake for sooo long...!
    I'm trying to express the idea of being "avec soi même", "se retrouver avec soi même", any idea?
    also, in which context, then, would you use "to be connected with myself"?

Many thanks

zam

England -french (mother tongue) & english
    Sorry, the forum shut down before I could finish…

To be at one with oneself

e.g

"It is frustrating but I am at one with myself. I am happy right now. I love being a part of this organization. If you look at the big picture, ...
    www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=22001 - 24k -

And that is my bit of inward peace, where I am at one with myself. And I must say, I am often worsted. Back to the top ...
    www.cswnet.com/~erin/dhlpoem.htm - 19k -

To find oneself again,

e.g

Leaving in order to find oneself again. This journey led me to several cities where i met people. Musical collaborations arised from those meetings, ... www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator:"autres_directions" - 26k –

I think I’ve lost myself…unfortuately… and I don’t know how I can find myself again… I think about when I was younger and I was always so happy and I think ...
    www.43things.com/things/view/7503 - 30k - 5 Dec 2006 -

catay

Canada anglais
    In the case that it is not a typo, self-collected means to be self-contained or composed, to be in control of your emotions and thoughts, avoir du sang-froid.:)

"I need to be more self-collected."

Jazzmin

French
    Hey all, many many thanks, helps a lot
    So...
    - would it mean that "to be self-collected" = avoir le contrôle de soi-même, avoir du sang froid?

- to be at one with onesefl = se retrouver (i.e: avec soi même)?

catay

Canada anglais
    - would it mean that "to be self-collected" = avoir le contrôle de soi-même, avoir du sang froid?
    Yes, I would agree with these equivalent phrases for self-collected.

Gil

Français, Canada
    Dear! You're probably right...I've been making this mistake for sooo long...!
    I'm trying to express the idea of being "avec soi même", "se retrouver avec soi même", any idea?
    also, in which context, then, would you use "to be connected with myself"?

Many thanks
    Désolé. J'avais tort.:eek:
    Adj. 1. self-collected - in full control of your faculties; "the witness remained collected throughout the cross-examination"; "perfectly poised and sure of himself"; "more self-contained and more dependable than many of the early frontiersmen"; "strong and self-possessed in the face of trouble"
    equanimous, self-possessed, poised, self-contained, collected
    composed - serenely self-possessed and free from agitation especially in times of stress; "the performer seemed completely composed as she stepped onto the stage"; "I felt calm and more composed than I had in a long time"

LMorland

American English
    Cher Gil,

Je ne crois pas que vous ayez tort. Car la phrase to be collected with myself n'existe pas en anglais !

D'ailleurs, on ne dirait jamais I need to be self collected. S'il agit d'un besoin, où on parle à soi-même, I need to get a hold of myself où (moins familier) I need to control/compose myself où bien I need to exercise some self-control! sont des usages courants.

Interesting question, Jaz!

catay

Canada anglais
    Car la phrase to be collected with myself n'existe pas en anglais !

Yes, I agree.

Gil, you are right, “connected to myself”, se trouver avec soi-même.
    Empl. pronom. réfl., empl. abs. Redevenir soi-même, retrouver son identité.
    (Le Trésor)

I offered “self-collected” as a point of clarification. This does describe a personal quality.
    Lmorland, yours are good examples of everyday usage to express the need to be in control of oneself. :thumbsup:

But to say you would never use the example I gave kind of puts some limits on the English language. What if you are trying to express the idea that you need more poise, more self-possession, more composure? I think my example works. One of the qualities of language is that is generative, we use it to generate meaning

zam

England -french (mother tongue) & english
    The focus of the discussion seems to have shifted a little from the OP but if Jazzmin wants to know how to say:

1) “se retrouver avec soi-même” (Jazzmin’s post#4), then it’s either “to be at one with oneself” or “to find oneself again” (posts#5 & 6).

2) “être en prise avec soi-même” or similar, then Catay’s post#11 would fit the bill.
    “to be connected to oneself” = être en prise (directe) avec soi-même, être en contact avec soi-même, être relié à soi-même, etc.

3) “to be collected”, then see post#10 & 11.

Jazzmin, note that whilst the first two are similar, #3 (calme, serein, etc.) is totally different to the idea of “se retrouver avec soi-même”.

“To collect oneself” also exists, it means (Cambridge AL):

collect yourself/your thoughts (FORMAL): to get control of your feelings and thoughts, especially after shock, surprise or laughter:
    I was so stunned by what he'd said I had to collect myself before I could reply

A synonym of the above that we often use in BE is “to gather oneself” (literally “se ramasser, se réassembler”)
    = rester calme, se reprendre, se concentrer de nouveau, se remettre (d'un choc, de ses émotions, etc.)

We’ll get there in the end !

Jazzmin

French
    Evening all,
    Thank you so much for this very enriching debate, it's luch more...clear?! in my head now (or is it? lol)
    One thing is certain now (for non native English speakers) the phrase "to be collected with myself" is simply not English!

Thanks to all of you!

< Previous | Next >