to be duelling someone

< Previous | Next >

EvaScagliari87

Italian
Hello,

Although I have looked for this sentence at previous threads , I didn't find any helpful.

I have problems to translate this part in Italian:

"Lupin commands a group of defenders on the school grounds during the Battle of Hogwarts and is last mentioned to be duelling Antonin Dolohov."

I have two doubts about it, the former is about the intransitive verb "to duel", you can't duel someone, you duel against or with someone; the latter regards " to be duelling". However, my attempt is as follows:

"Lupin è al comando di un gruppo di difensori nei giardini della scuola durante la Battaglia di Hogwarts ed è menzionato per l'ultima volta di stare battendosi a duello con Antonin Dolohov".

I found this sentence not in the authentic book written by J.K. Rowling, but on the Fandom Wiki and it is within this context:

"Lupin commands a group of defenders on the school grounds during the Battle of Hogwarts and is last mentioned to be duelling Antonin Dolohov. Both Lupin and Tonks die in combat, killed by Dolohov and Bellatrix Lestrange, respectively, leaving Teddy an orphan with Harry Potter as his godfather and Andromeda Tonks as his guardian. "

• Benzene

Italian from Italy
    Personalmente leggo la frase così:

"Lupin comanda un gruppo di difensori sul terreno della scuola durante la battaglia di Hogwarts e viene ricordato, per l'ultima volta, come duellante con Antonin Dolohov. Sia Lupin che Tonks muoiono in combattimento, uccisi rispettivamente da Dolohov e Bellatrix Lestrange, lasciando Teddy orfano con Harry Potter come padrino e Andromeda Tonks come sua tutrice.".

Bye,
    Benzene

EvaScagliari87

Italian
    It may I haven't learnt the progressive infinitives (to be ...ing) so well as you. But I'm still unable to figure it out.

In the exactly moment while we mention the battle of Hogwarts, are we referring about the ongoing battle taking place in the school grounds, or are we referring to an event already happened in the past ?

Why it hasn't been used " Lupin commands a group of defenders on the school grounds during the Battle of Hogwarts and is last mentioned to have duelled Antonin Dolohov " ?

furs

Italian
    is last mentioned to be duelling = viene citato per l'ultima volta nell'atto di duellare
    Per questo viene usato il tempo present continuous e non il tempo passato.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    is last mentioned to be duelling = viene citato per l'ultima volta nell'atto di duellare
    Per questo viene usato il tempo present continuous e non il tempo passato.
    It's the same structure as the very common English construction about missing persons: "he was last seen walking his dog in High Park" or "she was last seen boarding a plane to Fiji." The "to be" in "to be duelling" could be omitted or replaced with "as" without changing the meaning.

EvaScagliari87

Italian
    It's the same structure as the very common English construction about missing persons: "he was last seen walking his dog in High Park" or "she was last seen boarding a plane to Fiji." The "to be" in "to be duelling" could be omitted or replaced with "as" without changing the meaning.
    Many thanks, now I get it more.

< Previous | Next >