to be eager to take up vs to welcome to work in

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
Hi, I would like to please ask you which of the expressions in bold (I prefer the latter) is correct in the following (or you would suggest a different one):
In particular, if given an option, Sue would prefer to pursue her career in Inspection; however, she (is eager to take up)/(welcomes to work in) other roles befitting her background and the company's needs.

Last edited:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    One tends to contradict the initial statement, the other is grammatically incorrect.

I think what you mean is that she is more than willing to consider other roles.

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    One tends to contradict the initial statement, the other is grammatically incorrect.

I think what you mean is that she is more than willing to consider other roles.
    Thank you, lingobingo. Yes, I mean that.
    However, do you say that ... she is eager to take up other roles ... tends to contradict the initial statement?
    With the regard to the second, should it be: ... she welcomes working in other roles ...?

lingobingo

English - England
    The contradiction is pretty clear — either she really wants to work in "inspection", or she's "eager" to do almost anything else ("eager" seems an incongruously positive emotion for someone who's settling for second-best).

she welcomes working in other roles ...
    This is okay, yes. But "She would welcome other roles" is perhaps better.

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    The contradiction is pretty clear — either she really wants to work in "inspection", or she's "eager" to do almost anything else ("eager" seems an incongruously positive emotion for someone who's settling for second-best).

she welcomes working in other roles ...
    This is okay, yes. But "She would welcome other roles" is perhaps better.
    Thank you, lingobingo, for your explanation. And, is it more appropriate she would welcome other roles or she is more than willing to consider other roles?

< Previous | Next >