to be in motion

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Hello,
I am posting this thread because I don't trust Google Ngram. It's let me down a lot of times and I have every reason not to trust it. Is it very common to use, let's say, "plan/s" in collocation with motion? Here's the first example sentence that I found:
- Government plans to reform the justice system are in motion.

I am probably wrong, but I usually see "put/set something in motion" rather than "to be in motion". However, while playing a PC game, one of the characters said that his master's plan was in motion. According to Ngram "....plans are in motion" seems to be quite common, whereas "....plan is in motion" is not. I am a little confused. I assume there might be regional differences. What do you think?

• e2efour

UK English
    This ngram suggests that plan(s) is/are in motion have been used (Google Ngram Viewer).

However, I do not think in motion is often used for plans.
    I would prefer under way (and then probably implementation of the plan is under way).

However, if you click on 1977-1986 below the ngram, you can see the original text and decide whether it comes from a reputable source.

I then got "Plans are in motion to establish new camp sites and expand existing ones."
    (inauthor:"United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Foreign Relations. Subcommittee on Arms Control, Oceans, International Operations, and Environment" - Google Search)

That's good enough for me, despite my not using this phrase. :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >