to be invested (watching a spooky movie)

jacdac

Lebanese
I can’t believe I’m sitting here, Ralph thought. This is loonybin stuff.
Yet both his wife and Marcy Maitland were watching with the concentration of students preparing for a final exam, and the others, although clearly not so invested, were paying close attention.
Source: Outsider by Stephen King
Context: They are watching a snippet of a movie titled ‘Mexican Wrestling Women Meet the Monster’

What does invested mean in this context? absorbed?

Thank you.

• Copyright

American English
    WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English: invest: v.3. to use, give, or devote (time, talent, etc.), as to achieve something:[~ + object]She invested years of her life in writing that book.

"Not so invested"
    here means that they didn't have as much to gain (from watching this movie) – it wasn't so important to them; there was no beneficial outcome they were hoping to achieve.

jacdac

Lebanese
    Thank you for investing your time in clarifying the “not so invested” expresssion. Highly appreciate it.

Copyright

American English
    Thank you for investing your time in clarifying the “not so invested” expresssion. Highly appreciate it.
    :D It's one of those expressions that I understand more by feel than by definition – an example comes to mind of two people investing their money in a business venture. When it's not doing well and looks like it may fail, Bob is extremely worried because he has put in 95% of the money and has had to mortgage his house to do it, while Tom is not so invested, because 1) he has put in only 5% of the money, and 2) this is just pocket change for him because he's quite rich.

< Previous | Next >