To be obsolete or abolished

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
I wonder if I can use all of these three choices to fill in the following blank:
Example: The use of this word as a noun in this way .................... - by a hundred years or more.
a) is obsolete
b) is abolished
c) has died out
Source: self-made.
I think all of them are interchangeable in this context without changing the sentence's meaning.

• JamesM

"Is abolished" would have to be "was abolished over a hundred years ago". "Abolished" is very strong. It means that a decree was issued, a law was passed, or some significant cultural change occurred so that the word was banned and unacceptable. It includes the connotation that some action was taken to discourage or prevent people from using the word, either by force, law or social shunning.

"Is obsolete" just means that it is old and no longer used. Of the three options I like this one the best with "- by a hundred years or more." It means that it has been out of use for at least a century. There is no implication that anyone decreed that it should not be used. People may have just abandoned the word in preference of another.

"Has died out" is similar to "is obsolete" but it can't be combined with " - by a hundred years or more. " Something can't die out by a hundred years. It, too, requires some changes: "The use of the word as a noun in this way died out over a hundred years ago."

sayanything

American English
    I think the word your looking for is obsolete but I don't usually see by used as it's used in your sentence. It can be used but it sounds strange to me.

I would say

The use of this as a noun in this way has been obsolete for a hundred years or more.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The last two do not work. The first is nearest to being acceptable but not quite idiomatic

The use of this word as a noun in this way is obsolete - and has been for a hundred years or more.
    The use of this word as a noun in this way is abolished - by a hundred years or more. :cross: ... was abolished a hundred years or more ago. (I cannot think of any word that was "abolished".)
    The use of this word as a noun in this way has died out - by a hundred years or more. :cross: ... in this way has died out - by a hundred years or more ago.

< Previous | Next >