to be on the muck

< Previous | Next >

sergiofreeman

Spanish
Hi! In my Reading of the Book “Their eyes were watching God” by Zora Neale Hurston, I found an expression I didn’t understand, to be on the muck.The context says:In contrast to the social status that her previous marriages gave her , Janie’s place in her relationship with Tea Cake is on the muck, a booming farming area, picking beans at his side. I was not sure if this meant that she had come down her social status or that this one is a mix by being working hard in a low job like picking beans but with the companion she really wanted and love. This last meaning taking into account what a dictionary says about muck - 1. A moist, sticky mixture, especially of mud and filth.You, please, tell me your opinions, I will appreciate them for sure. Thanks for all.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Janie’s place in her relationship with Tea Cake is on the muck, a booming farming area, picking beans at his side.

On the muck, on the soil, on the farm - working the land with Tea Cake.

From the context, it seems clear that this is considered to be of lower status than her previous marriages. The fact that she is happy with her companion does not influence the perceived social status.

< Previous | Next >