to be on the same page

lordterrin

American English
Hello,

In France, I used multiple times the expression "être sur la même page" to express the idea of "being on the same page" as someone else, yet, I haven't found this as an acceptable translation noted in any of the questions asked here.

Have I been wrong in saying this? Is this not something that French people use?

Brian

• Quenelle_Lyonnaise

French - France
    So you are asking if 'être sur la même page' is an expression we use in French? Well I have heard it, I'm just not sure it is a French expression, maybe it's actually just a litteral translation of the Engish expression that some people use, I'm not sure, I hope someone can help you with that.

lordterrin

American English
    I mean... I'm not concerned with its origin being French.. :) I'm just wondering if I say it, will people understand me? Is it an expression that is used by French-speaking people?

Quenelle_Lyonnaise

French - France
    Oh, well I believe you would be perfectly understood, yes :)

Edit : And I have heard French people using it, to completely answer your question :D I happen to have used it myself already actually

Sansvisnage

Français - France
    I'm not sure I understand the meaning of "to be on the same page" correctly... I would suggest "être sur la même longueur d'ondes", which means people get on very well and have the same opinions...

I don't know if it helps, sorry...

lordterrin

American English
    hmmmmm... As someone who does not speak French, i can't attest to this perfectly. However, from what I understand, "être sur la même longeuer d'ondes" means more that people share the same overall opinionS on topics, maybe like... two people who agree about capitalism or religion or which cheeses they like, whereas "to be on the same page" with someone means that you both understand each other.

For example. Let's say you're dating a girl, and after a few dates you want to know if the two of you feel the same way about each other, so you ask her, "I have really enjoyed our last few dates and I want to know if you're on the same page with me? (or, if we're on the same page)." Meaning, I want to know if you feel the same way about me as I feel about you.

Another example could be in a business, a manager might call a meeting with his staff, all of whom are doing various projects, in order to "make sure everyone is on the same page" regarding the status what is going on with the company. This makes sure that everyone exchanges information and makes sure that everything is clear to everyone.

In my opinion, again, from limited French, this is not the same meaning as "être sur la même longueur d'ondes," but I could be totally wrong!

Thanks!

Brian

Sansvisnage

Français - France
    Thanks lordterrin for your explanation !
    I have never heard or used "être sur la même page" in French, that's why I tried to find something else. But I can't think of a French sentence you could say in both examples...

cdefranoux

French - France
    This topic is a bit old but I do not agree with too statements in it and I would like to give my understanding, just in case it could help somebody else:
    - no, "être sur la même page" is definitely not a valid French idiom. I never heard that anywhere in France. It may be used by French people that are used to speaking business English, maybe.
    - lordterrin has doubts about the translation "être sur la même longueur d'ondes" proposed by Sansvisnage. But it is the best translation for that. In the example of the a with a girl given by lordterrin, this translation perfectly applies. Litterally, this French expression refers to the tuning of the frequency of a radio. Unless it is on the correct wavelength, you cannot understand anything from the radio station.

John Keats

French
    I agree with cdefranoux, "être sur la même page" is not a French expression. Although the meaning is indeed slightly different, "être sur la même longueur d'onde" is the closest valid expression. Or you can simply say "être bien d'accord".

msc22

French - France
    Could "être en phase" be a good translation ? in the sense être en harmonie avec quelqu'un, au même rythme, en être au même point.

guillaumedemanzac

English - Southern England Home Counties
    To be on the same wave-length as someone is an English phrase as well as a French one.
    To be on the same page was in 2009 relatively unused but I guarantee that now in 2015 everyone has heard it and is using it in English and in French because it has become a cult catch-phrase.
    "To be singing from the same song-sheet" was popular in the 60s and 70s but "to be on the same page" is now the popular way to say that.
    A meeting is called and the boss says: I called this meeting just to check we are all on the same page before the new xxxxxx starting next week.

< Previous | Next >