to be on the young side for something

spanish19

spanish
Hello!

First of all: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I have to do a translation into Spanish and I don't understand the meaning of this sentence. Specifically it says "On the young side for a bishop, but he's been a prominent sportsman at university so that would explain it". I don't understand its meaning. This sentence is said by a woman who is talking about a bishop.

I'd like if you could help me.
Thank you so much!

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hello!

First of all: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I have to do a translation into Spanish and I don't understand the meaning of this sentence. Specifically it says "On the young side for a bishop, but he's been a prominent sportsman at university so that would explain it". I don't understand its meaning. This sentence is said by a woman who is talking about a bishop.

I'd like if you could help me.
    Thank you so much!
    She's saying that he's a bit young to have attained the rank of a bishop (most are older men with many more years of experience than a younger man). The fact, however, that he was an athlete at university has helped him "climb the promotion ladder" and that's how he attained the rank of bishop at a young age (star athletes are often considered as good candidates for the "fast track" in many occupations).

jennijenni

American English (AE) / USA
    "On the young side for a bishop, but he's been a prominent sportsman at university so that would explain it".
    Thank you so much!
    Let's say that there is an average age for bishops (which of course there is). If a bishop is younger than the average age, he's "on the young side." If he's older than the average age, he's "on the old side." Generally, in the US, we only use these phrases when someone is very much older or younger than the average.

"On the ______ side" can also be used in other situations. Examples:

"He's on the short side." (shorter than average)
    "He's on the tall side." (taller than average)

Enjoy!

< Previous | Next >