To be open (sports player, in a ball game)

< Previous | Next >

vince

English
In English, if a player is unobstructed or unopposed, and thus able to receive the ball from another player on their team, the word used is that they are "open".

For example: "Julie is right by the net, there is no one except for the goalie defending the net, she is open, so if you pass the ball to her, she can score"

I'm wondering if other languages use the adjective "open" (i.e. the state of not being closed) in the same context.

• bibax

Czech (Prague)
    Czech does not use the adjective open in this context. We use:

volný = free (like in 'free electron', not like in 'free citizen' = svobodný občan);
    nekrytý or nepokrytý = uncovered;

The opposite meaning:
    obsazený = occupied, engaged, busy (like in 'engaged phone line');
    krytý or pokrytý = covered;

Last edited:
    In Greek (like in French) we say the player is «αμαρκάριστος» (amar'karistos, m.) lit. "unmarked". An Italian loan word (marcare).
    Or one can hear during TV commentaries that the player has an «ανοιχτό πεδίο» (anix'to pe'ðio, both neuter) lit. "open field" before him.

jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    In Greek (like in French) we say the player is «αμαρκάριστος» (amar'karistos, m.) lit. "unmarked". An Italian loan word (marcare).
    Also in Portuguese: não marcado, but I am very bad at sports and somebody should confirm this.

Fericire

Portuguese (Brazil)
    Jazyk, in Portuguese people would mostly use the word "Livre" (lit. "free").
    For example: "Pedro está livre, passe para ele!" ("Pedro is open, pass him the ball!").

jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    Jazyk, in Portuguese people would mostly use the word "Livre" (lit. "free").
    For example: "Pedro está livre, passe para ele!" ("Pedro is open, pass him the ball!").
    But I think you could also say: Ninguém está marcando o Pedro, passe (a bola) para ele.

Montesacro

Italiano
    In Italian:

smarcato (unmarked),

or

libero (free).

Examples:

XY è libero ----------XY is unmarked
    XY si è smarcato --- XY got rid of his marker

< Previous | Next >