to be overweight

tng7

English - England/American
Hi, I translated the following sentence from English to Spanish and I want to say

Although we never have time to eat and rest, it seems that more and more people are overweight.

Aunque nunca tenemos tiempo para comer y descansar, parece cada vez más que las personas tienen sobrepesos.

My professor underlined sobrepesos and said that there is a ser/estar problem. Should this be estar sobrepesos? Or are there other words that would be more common or more normal to say?

Thanks!!

• tng7

English - England/American
    Yea, I would agree but he said there is a ser/estar problem so it has to have ser/estar in it somehow I'm just not sure how to say it.

nand-o

European Spanish
    Hi, I translated the following sentence from English to Spanish and I want to say

Although we never have time to eat and rest, it seems that more and more people are overweight.

Aunque nunca tenemos tiempo para comer y descansar, parece cada vez más que las personas tienen sobrepesos.

My professor underlined sobrepesos and said that there is a ser/estar problem. Should this be estar sobrepesos? Or are there other words that would be more common or more normal to say?

Thanks!!
    Hola:
    Sí es "tienen sobrepeso" (en singular) ..."parece que cada vez más gente tiene sobrepeso"

o también "...parece que hay cada vez más gente con sobrepeso"

Anemoah

Andaluz y español de España
    Maybe your professor wanted you to translate overweight as obesos. In this case you can use both forms, ser y estar (ser obeso y estar obeso), but in this particular case I would say "... más gente es obesa".

< Previous | Next >