to be picked up

< Previous | Next >

clumsydoe

french
Hi everyone !

I'm looking for the traduction of "to be pick up" in the sentence "This little Indian obviously thought she wanted to be picked up." please.

• clumsydoe

french
    Thanks, this is the extract :

" She turned around and the little India man she had seen earlier was standing behindher. With her being perched up on the stool he bravely reached her shoulders.
    "I'm waiting fr someone", she snapped. This was really too much. The check of it. Where was Pat ? Why was he late ? This little Indian obviously thought she wanted to be picked up. "

mgarizona

US - American English
    Doesn't imply prostitute, just a girl in search of male companionship <g>

(Of the various errors in the text as related, the most glaring is: "The cheek of it!")

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    hampton.mc is correct ("... qu'elle voulait être prise dans les bras" ?) if it's a little girl (child) wanting to be taken into an adult's arms (without any sexual overtones).

But "to pick someone up" can have at least two other meanings:

(1) to win someone over (for sex), e.g. "We went to a bar last night, had a few drinks, and picked up these two girls." - this COULD be the meaning in the example in this thread.

(2) to collect someone in a vehicle, e.g. "Give me a call when your train arrives. I'll come and pick you up in the car."

Last edited:

mgarizona

US - American English
    In AE a girl would never say "he thought I wanted to be picked up" to mean 'he thought I was a prostitute." You don't "pick up" a prostitute, you pick up a girl.

Wouldn't you use it for a child who wants to be picked up in your arms as well?
    Sure. But that's not the context here.

hampton.mc

French
    Thank you M
    peut-être qu'on pourrait traduire par:
    ... pensait qu'elle était disponible ? ou pensait qu'elle n'attendait que ça ? ... pensait qu'elle cherchait un homme ?

< Previous | Next >