to be serve

marwajami

Persian
Police officers aren't usually allowed to be serve on a jury.

I came across the above sentence in the Cambridge dictionary but the structure seems a bit odd to me why be serve is used instead of serve?

• Leeeroy

Polish - Poland
    ...to be seated... would also work.

No, it wouldn't be an idiomatic alternative to "to sit on a jury".
    Police officers aren't usually allowed to be seated on a jury does not work.
    Serving (sitting) on a jury is one thing; being selected (seated) as a juror is another. Either works with the rest of the original sentence.

Examples from Google to prevent a pointless back-and-forth:
    A presumption of bias arises when a juror deliberately withholds material information in order to be seated on a jury.
    ...ordinary citizens are fully justified in lying to government officials to enable themselves to be seated on a jury.
    Will You Be Seated on a Jury? (The New York Times headline)
    ...he did not recall anyone who requested to be seated on a jury if they otherwise could avoid it.

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    ...to be seated... would also work.
    Examples from Google to prevent a pointless back-and-forth...
    I don't know where those examples came from, but they don't sould like any version of English that I know. Is this an Americanism perhaps?

I have been selected for a jury and thus served on/sat on a jury. While we heard the case we were seated on chairs in the court-room.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Serving (sitting) on a jury is one thing; being selected (seated) as a juror is another.
    Not correct. I agree with Keith. In my version of English, sitting on a jury is the same thing as serving on a jury. There are preliminaries that need to happen first: You are randomly selected to attend for jury service. Counsel (lawyers) then have an opportunity to reject you as unsuitable. Once the jury is finalised, its members are said to be sitting or serving on the jury, and not before.