To be sorry to hear something

Ciel Noir

British English
Hello,

I'd like to say the following in Portuguese:

"I'm very sorry to hear that you're not well."

My guess would be: "Sinto muito saber que está doente."

Does that sound okay? Is there a more elegant way of saying that?

Thank you!

• Ruca

Português
    It's ok.
    Another way of say it, would be: "Lamento saber que não se encontra bem de saúde."
    Olá,

In European Portuguese:

1) If you have a cosy and informal relationship with the person that is not well, then you can use second person singular:

"Lamento saber que não te encontras bem de saúde"

2) If you have an formal relationship with the person that is not well, then you should use the third person singular:

"Lamento saber que não se encontra bem de saúde"

Actually, choosing between second or third person singular in Portugal might be quite a complex and tricky task. It may depend on several factors (age, professional grade, etc), not just formal/informal relationship.

Hope this helps.

Alderamin

Pt-PT
    Olá,

In European Portuguese:

1) If you have a cosy and informal relationship with the person that is not well, then you can use second person singular:

"Lamento saber que não te encontras bem de saúde"

2) If you have an formal relationship with the person that is not well, then you should use the third person singular:

"Lamento saber que não se encontra bem de saúde"

Actually, choosing between second or third person singular in Portugal might be quite a complex and tricky task. It may depend on several factors (age, professional grade, etc), not just formal/informal relationship.

Hope this helps.
    I used "Lamento saber que não se encontra bem de saúde." because ciel noir asked for a more elegant way of saying it, and even he/she has provided the sentence following the same tone.
    Anyway, many thanks for your explanation, and for highlighting this matter addressed to me :)

resiance

Brazilian Portuguese
    "Lastimo profundamente/ deploro pelo seu estado de saude." However the verb 'lamentar' is the most used on these contexts. For this I suggest you should follow the advice from our friends of Portugal.

Ruca

Português
    I used "Lamento saber que não se encontra bem de saúde." because ciel noir asked for a more elegant way of saying it, and even he/she has provided the sentence following the same tone.
    Anyway, many thanks for your explanation, and for highlighting this matter addressed to me :)

Peço desculpa. Acho que ainda não sei funcionar bem com esta aplicação.

Alderamin

Pt-PT
    Deveria ter respondido ao "post" de Ciel Noir e não ao seu...foi lapso meu devido a não estar familiarizado com o funcionamento do fórum.

Obrigado.
    Sim, é isso. Teria de ter clicado em "reply with quote" no "post" de ciel noir.
    Não se preocupe, todos cometemos lapsos nestas circunstâncias, eu inclusive.

< Previous | Next >