to be up for chess

vhirschi

french
Hi everyone,

How can you translate "we are always up for chess" in french? (in a context where chess clearly not means "le jeu d'échecs")

Thanks for you suggestion
Vincent

• vhirschi

french
    Hi Pete,

The context is someone who invite friends for a board game (not chess), and they replied "we are always up for chess!" So I wondered if "chess" in that context could mean any type of game, or if it was a phrase with some other meaning.

Thank you for your help...
    Vincent

Kelly B

USA English
    I'm puzzled, too. I can't think of any meaning besides nous sommes toujours prêts/partants à jouer aux échecs, and without the specific sentences before that one, I'm not sure why they'd mention chess when a different game is being considered.

Language Hound

American English
    The context is someone who invite​s friends for a board game (not chess), and they replied "we are always up for chess!" So I wondered if "chess" in that context could mean any type of game, or if it was a phrase with some other meaning.
    Welcome to the Forum, Vhirschi!
    No, "chess" does not refer to any type of game, just le jeu d'échecs.

What I understand from this is that the person invited some friends over for a board game and,
    because they are not that fond of that particular board game, they replied "we are always up for chess!"
    i.e., let's play chess instead of the board game.

On est toujours partants pour une partie d'échecs !

tartopom

French
    Interesting. I say " Je ne suis pas chaude pour faire quelque chose" and I don't know why I don't say " Je suis chaude pour ...". But I hear " Je suis chaud patate pour ci ou ça".

Nooj

English - Aus-NZ
    Thank you!

What would be the most normal way for you to say 'up for something' ? J'ai toujours envie de...?

Fish-custard

English, UK
    Welcome to the Forum, Vhirschi!
    No, "chess" does not refer to any type of game, just le jeu d'échecs.

What I understand from this is that the person invited some friends over for a board game and,
    because they are not that fond of that particular board game, they replied "we are always up for chess!"
    i.e., let's play chess instead of the board game.

On est toujours partants pour une partie d'échecs !
    Je suis d'accord avec Language Hound.
    Dans ce contexte, la personne invitée n'aime pas jouer aux jeux de société donc propose jouer aux échecs comme alternative.

How about:
    On n'aime pas trop les jeux de société, mais on ne dirait pas non à jouer aux échecs/à une partie d'échecs.

Qu'en pensez-vous, mes amis francophones?

Last edited:

tartopom

French
    Oui, juste F-c, j'aurais dit ... mais on ne dirait pas non à une partie d'échecs.

Don't know why but I wouldn't say " on ne dirait pas non à jouer aux échecs." I guess I'd say " on ne dirait pas non pour jouer aux échecs."

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    Pour moi, "(ne pas) dire non (à)" doit être suivi d'un nom. Avec un infinitif, ça ne fonctionne pas (même acec "pour").

< Previous | Next >