To be up oneself, up himself, up herself, up itself?

lapachis8

Mexico-Spanish
Could somebody please help me out with this expression "to be up onself" and give some examples?
cheers

<< See also up itself, which includes a link back to this thread. >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • You little ripper!

Australian English
    lapachis8 said:
    Could somebody please help me out with this expression "to be up onself" and give some examples?
    cheers
    To be up oneself is an expression that I think is Australian. I'm not sure whether it is used in the U.K. or America. It means to have a big head, to think that you are absolutely wonderful!

Venetia is so up herself; I just want to smack her face!
    Tom is so up himself; one day he is going to fall off his high horse.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It is the way of these forums to produce cosmic coincidences.

To be up oneself is to be so self-obsessed, and so assured of one's own importance, that one considers the entire world to revolve around one.
    The effect is rather similar to the "disappearing up one's own ..." syndrome that is described HERE.

Brioche

Australia English
    to be up oneself = to have a grossly inflated idea of one's own importance or worth.

She is up herself because she thinks she is so so beautiful.

Bloggs Boutique has good clothes, but the staff are up themselves, and give you dirty looks.

You can't win!
    If you are proud of your achievements, you are up yourself.
    If you aren't, you are not ambitious.

Isotta

English, Hodgepodge
    I don't think this is limited to Australia; at English school people said it all the time. I don't think Americans use this expression.

Z.

CAMullen

US, English
    Yes, lapachis8, apparently so.

And you are correct, Isotta. Americans do not use the expression. In the US, it comes too close to our image of having your head up your (something else), making a picture not so much of self-obsession as of being in the dark!

paalo

Australia english
    But how did 'to be up oneself' get the meaning that it has?

The phrase 'up yours' is of course a rude gesture made by one person to another.

I suspect that that saying that a person is 'up' themselves is implying that the person has such a high opinion of themselves that in effect the only person able to give him or her pleasure is him or herself!

Just my theory, and I could be completely wrong of course!

lunatiqfrinj

British English
    Just incase you ever hear that someone "has his head up his arse" - this means he is clueless to what is going on around him.. He may or may not be self-obssessed

Ivan_I

Russian
    << -----XXXX-----X-----XXXX-----X-----XXXX----- Threads merged here. Read the posts above, Ivan. -----XXXX-----X-----XXXX-----X-----XXXX----- >>

Here is a simple sentence which I am not sure I understand correctly.

1) I cannot believe that I was madly in love with him. He is so up himself, it's beyond belief.

What does "he is so up himself" mean exactly?

Does it mean that he is arrogant and looks down on others? Or something different?

<<< ----------- See Rule 1 ----------- >>>

Last edited by a moderator:

pob14

American English
    As pointed out in the old thread (now merged with this one), in the US at least, "having your head up your ass" means to be ignorant. Other posts suggest that "up himself" means self-absorbed. I'm not sure which part of this mr cat is disagreeing with.

< Previous | Next >