to be worth this much pain

Tritta

French
Hello,

A slave who is loved by her master refuses to have a child from him. Could anybody help me to understand what "No bundle of joy is worth this much pain" means in the following dialogue? I know "bundle of joy" means "child", but somehow the meaning of the whole sentence is a bit obscure to me. Thank you in advance!

- I am about to bestow upon you the highest honor a man can bestow on a woman.
- No bundle of joy is worth this much pain.
- What do you want from me?
- I want to love you as a free woman.

• harrythelm

USA English
    vaut une telle souffrance … celle provenant de son statut d'esclave, d'après la réplique qui suit

Tritta

French
    Thank you all for your replies, but I'm still not very clear. Does this mean like: "no child would make me forget the pain"?

Santana2002

English, from Ireland
    I don't think so, timbloleicester. It is stated that she refuses to have a child by him. What she wants isn't his child but the freedom (from slavery) to love him as a free woman, and no matter how much joy a child (his child) would bring her it would never be enough to compensate the pain of still being his slave.

timboleicester

English - UK
    She doesn't say she wants to love him as a free woman does she? How do you know? It might be the Man saying the last line might it not? This wouild make my interpretation even more probable...

Santana2002

English, from Ireland
    The phrase on it's own could have been said by either the man or the woman, however following the presentation above, a dialogue, I assumed (silly me) that each line was a new speaker, and logically therefore that line was spoken by the woman.

I also assumed, under the context, that the man (who wanted her to have his baby but hadn't expressed any desire to see her a free woman) was not the speaker, and instinctively I understood this phrase to have been uttered by the woman. I ought, of course, to have been less quick with my assumption.

< Previous | Next >