to become fond [of], get attached

learnrussian

spanish
Привет! Как по-русски? to become fond [of], get attached Когда использовать? Как по-англиски?

• Slavianophil

Russian
    Give some context, please!

If you speak about a person (or an animal) you can translate it as: "полюбить кого-либо", "привязаться к кому-либо".

learnrussian

spanish
    Спасибо всем! Как быстро вы ответили... В каких ситуациях... 1. Я говорю о соседе 2. о животных (pets) 3. o учителе 4. о однокласснике 5. о книге Можеть быть?

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Спасибо всем! Как быстро вы ответили... В каких ситуациях... 1. Я говорю о соседе 2. о животных (pets) 3. oб учителе 4. об однокласснике 5. о книге Можеть быть?
    It is a bit strange - to be fond of, or to get attached to a neighbor.

Anyway:

1. Мы дружим с соседом. (we are friends with my neighbor). 2. Я очень привязан к своей собаке (I am very fond of my dog). 3. Я очень люблю своего учителя (I love / like a lot my teacher). 4 . Я дружу со своим одноклассником - My classmate and I are friends. 5. Я очень люблю эту книгу - I am very fond of that book.

elemika

Russian
    It is a bit strange - to be fond of, or to get attached to a neighbor.

Anyway:

1. Мы дружим с соседом. (we are friends with my neighbor). 2. Я очень привязан к своей собаке (I am very fond of my dog). 3. Я очень люблю своего учителя (I love / like a lot my teacher). 4 . Я дружу со своим одноклассником - My classmate and I are friends. 5. Я очень люблю эту книгу - I am very fond of that book.
    Morzh, please, have a look at the original post:
    to become fond [of], get attached

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Yes, I know.

The thing is, I am not sure "fond of" and "attached" may be used well in all those situations. This is why I replaced them with other various degrees of attachment.

Don't you find "I am very fond of my neighbor" a bit...disturbing? :D

elemika

Russian
    Morzh, включите воображение:
    неужели нельзя полюбить соседа (ну, в Вашем случае, соседку ;))?

Natalisha

Russian
    I am a happily married man :D

My imagination is dead. :( Happy marriage has that effect on it. :)
    I agree. The choice of expressions depends on your life experience.
    I can say я люблю своих соседей but never я люблю своего соседа even in a jokey way. But I know a lot of people who don't have any problems with ... er... their neighbours. :)

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Well, I can say "I'm fond of my old vacuum". If someone asks why I still use it and don't throw it away. "I am fond of it; it's been with me ever since I was a college student, and it still does the job!"

Here it is "Я к нему привязан. Он у меня со студенческих лет, и до сих пор отлично работает".

"I am very fond of opera" - "я очень увлекаюсь оперой".
    "I am very fond of my kid brother" - "я очень привязан к младшему братишке".

Sobakus

By the way, expressing the start of an action (and that I think is what the topicstater wanted) requires following transformations:
    мы дружим => мы подружились
    я люблю => мне понравилось (полюбил expresses deep feelings)
    увлекаться => увлечься/начать увлекаться
    быть привязанным => привязаться

elemika

Russian
    i can say я люблю своих соседей but never я люблю своего соседа even in a jokey way.
    А мы полюбили своего соседа. Всей душой. Как учителя и как друга.
    У него большая семья - дети и внуки, но он всегда поможет советом и поднимет настроение шуткой.
    И дети крепко к нему привязались, ведь он умеет починить велосипед и запустить воздушного змея.
    Благодаря ему они по-настоящему увлеклись книгами, особенно про путешествия.

Natalisha

Russian
    А мы полюбили своего соседа. Всей душой. Как учителя и как друга.
    That's interesting! Maybe I could say 'я люблю своего соседа' if he was an old man. But my neighbour is young and if I said that I loved him it would be very strange.

< Previous | Next >