to brave something

aliyoni

turkish
Hello,

I don't get what "brave" means in this context. I don' think it means "to challenge with courage" here, which is the only meaning I could find on the use of this word as a verb.

"Certainly, the politic and artificial nourishing, and entertaining of hopes, and carrying men from hopes to hopes, is one of the best antidotes against the poison of discontentments. And it is a certain sign of a wise government and proceeding, when it can hold men's hearts by hopes, when it cannot by satisfaction; and when it can handle things, in such manner, as no evil shall appear so peremptory, but that it hath some outlet of hope; which is the less hard to do, because both particular persons and factions, are apt enough to flatter themselves, or at least to brave that, which they believe not." (Francis Bacon - Essays)

Thank you.

• lingobingo

English - England
    In that text brave means, in effect, to pretend boldly. This is the relevant definition from the OED:

To boast, glory, vaunt. to brave it: to swagger, act the bravo. Now in to brave it out.​