to capitulate from an argument

< Previous | Next >

csicska

hungarian
Hello. Can you say, if you don't want to argue anymore or if you want to admit the other party won the argument, "I'd like to capitulate from this argument" (as in I'm going to fall back on this one / You win)? Thank you.

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    it seems an odd thing to say in that context.

I can imagine someone possibly saying "I capitulate" but not "I'd like to capitulate from this argument".

But that's unlikely too. It's more likely to be used with reference to a past event. He finally capitulated. I had to capitulate.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Yes. In your situation, I'd expect something like "You win", as you suggested, or "I concede (the argument)".

lentulax

UK English
    Can you say, if you don't want to argue anymore or if you want to admit the other party won the argument, "I'd like to capitulate from this argument"
    'I give up' - 'I don't want to argue any more' (without necessarily admitting the other chap is right); 'I give in' - 'I accept that your argument is superior'
    'I'd like to capitulate' (not 'from', as explained above) sounds odd, because 'capitulation' normally suggests an unwilling acceptance of defeat.

< Previous | Next >