to catch up what you've missed (e.g.. a football match)

bcchagas

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi, there

I was watching a video about football vocabulary in English on engvid and there was a moment when Ronnie (i.e. the teacher) says:
maybe you missed the game entirely because you have a job. I have a job. I miss games. So I have to catch up at the end
Does catch up here means "I end up having to find a way to watch those matches I've lost (maybe on internet, a rerun on TV, etc)" or maybe "I end up knowing the score later, after the match has ended"?

Thank you for you precious time :)

• George French

English - UK
    Hi, there

I was watching a video about football vocabulary in English on engvid and there was a moment when Ronnie (i.e. the teacher) says:

Does catch up here means "I end up having to find a way to watch those matches I've lost (maybe on internet, a rerun on TV, etc)" or maybe "I end up knowing the score later, after the match has ended"?

Thank you for you precious time :)
    There are channels called something like "Catch up TV" so you can see the match later. The final scores can be found easily with a few searches...

Generality:- you can catch up on almost anything. For example, you can catch up on the football results by reading the newspaper the next day.

GF..

One can catch up on many TV broadcasts and satellite "reruns". There are many companies that live on "re-runs".
    (And you can record for yourself, BUT NOT for commercial use, unless you a paying for this extra service). :D NOTE! You are responsible for the legality of making recordings and viewing them etc..

Catch up has other meanings.....

bcchagas

Portuguese - Brazil
    Sorry for the late reply, George. You answer helped me clarify many things. Thank you!!!

< Previous | Next >