To certify a request

< Previous | Next >

davamayi

Spanish - Spain
"U.S. Department of Treasury
Certification Year 2009
Dear Taxpayer:
We have certified your request for relief from being taxed twice (double taxation)."

It's a letter received by a French professor who has taught for some months in the US. What I would like to know is whether the letter certifies the decision to waive double taxation, or whether it just acknowledges receipt of the request for that waiver.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • James Brandon

English + French - UK
    I find the formulation odd and it could be either one or the other. I do not think it is the kind of phrase that would be used in this context in the UK. You need an American familiar with tax procedures and phrases used by the tax authorities in the US to reply to you and enlighten us...

timpeac

English (England)
    "U.S. Department of Treasury
    Certification Year 2009
    Dear Taxpayer:
    We have certified your request for relief from being taxed twice (double taxation)."

It's a letter received by a French professor who has taught for some months in the US. What I would like to know is whether the letter certifies the decision to waive double taxation, or whether it just acknowledges receipt of the request for that waiver.

Many thanks in advance!
    It's not clear to me either. I had a poke around on the internet looking at tax pages which contain "certify" or cognates and my impression is that they mean that they have accepted the request. This is very much just an impression though, so if he's in doubt the professor really should phone them up and ask.

< Previous | Next >