to Challenge <Venue ‘Shopping’>

< Previous | Next >
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I have to subscribe or sign in to "The Wall Street Journal" to view your link - so there is no context.

However, this seems to be some sort of way of avoiding civil legal patent cases by choosing the state in which the case is heard: The article will explain what is happening.

The Newt

English - US
    I have to subscribe or sign in to "The Wall Street Journal" to view your link - so there is no context.

However, this seems to be some sort of way of avoiding civil legal patent cases by choosing the state in which the case is heard: The article will explain what is happening.
    That's how I read it. The plaintiffs "shop around" for a jurisdiction prone to be sympathetic to their side.

pob14

American English
    It happens here all the time. A huge number of personal injury cases are filed in one of Illinois' 102 counties, because it is known for its high jury verdicts. It's also called "forum shopping."

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    A "venue" is the location where a case is tried. In criminal cases, that is ordinarily the county of occurrence, although if there is some reason why it seems likely that a fair trial cannot be had in that country (such as a great deal of publicity in the newspapers that may influence prospective jurors) a "change of venue" may be sought. In civil cases, a plaintiff is able to bring the case to court in any county where the defendant does business, or even in any state where it does business. Because some jurisdictions are known to be more likely than others to give a big award to the plaintiff, the plaintiffs sometimes go "shopping" for a location where they expect to do the best in court.

< Previous | Next >