Hi,

Is this idiomatic?

It's a good time to change your job.

I know it's idiomatic to say "It's a good time to change jobs."

I happened to come across a site that says "Change your job, change your life."

Thanks a lot.

• Tazzler

American English
    There is usually a difference between the two structures that arises from thevmany meanings of "change.""change" can both mean "get a new one" and "transform the essence of." The first meaning usually has a noun in the plural: change seats, change planes, change names. The second can go with "the" or words like "my." So in theory "change your job" could mean change your duties and other things, while still working in the same place and possibly drawing the same salary.

taked4700

japanese japan
    Thank you, Copyright.

I've also happened to find a thread in this forum that says "I've changed my job" is not idiomatic.

Is this something that context governs?

Thanks in advance.

taked4700

japanese japan
    Thank you, Tazzler.

You've got the point. I've also thought of almost the same thing.

I think it would be logically possible to say,

"I've changed my jobs three times in the past five years. At first I worked with BM, and then with Google and now for Face Book."

Is this right?

Copyright

American English
    The word 'my' plays a crucial role in deciding the meaning, doesn't it?
    I don't know what you mean by "crucial" -- you either change your job or you change jobs.

I changed my job three times in the past five years.
    I changed jobs three times in the past five years.

I would normally choose the second one in that context.

A note: Changing jobs nearly always implies a new employer, not changing your duties within the company you're working for -- if that happens, you would express it some other way: I've been promoted and now my duties include responsibility for the Asia-Pacific Region.

taked4700

japanese japan
    Thank you, Copyright.

I didn't know it's OK to say "I changed my job three times in the past five years.", and now I am faced with the difficulties of English that have sometimes knocked me down on the floor of despair.

But I would be able to stand up with the help of contributors in this forum.

Thanks again,
    taked4700

< Previous | Next >