to chest to chest someone

csicska

hungarian
Hello, I have some problems with understanding the phrase "to chest to chest someone". Its from Limp Bizkit song "9 Teen 90 Nine". This is the line in which it is:

MC's detest me,
wanna chest to chest me,
but I aint all about that.

Does it mean "to get in one`s face" ?

Thank you.

• csicska

hungarian
    So it is something like "his chest on my chest"? And is it a set phrase? I mean, "to chest to chest someone"?

csicska

hungarian
    So "to go chest to chest with someone" = "to fight with someone" and nothing else? And thank you very much for your response.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I've never heard the expression before, but I'd suppose that's what it means, since the image would be one of direct physical confrontation.

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    It's not a common phrase, but it does mean what everyone has said.

Envision two men, face to face, chest to chest, screaming at one another.

If I "get in your face", then I am "invading your space", confronting you and physically "chest bumping" you.

It's an allude to the physical aspects of the moments before a physical confrontation.

csicska

hungarian
    Thank you Parla and Filsmith. So I won`t probably use this phrase if it is almost unknown to you.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Also not to be confused with actual chest to chest contact used as a celebration in sports: two players run towards each other and jump in the air with their chests extended and the chest to chest contact is called a "chest bump":)

csicska

hungarian
    Also not to be confused with actual chest to chest contact used as a celebration in sports: two players run towards each other and jump in the air with their chests extended and the chest to chest contact is called a "chest bump":)
    Thank you JulianStuart. It is sure that I won`t be confused by that after your advice. :) So I will use "to go chest to chest with someone" only if I will be in a state before starting a fight as Filsmith advised.