to climb up a tree ably/skillfully/cleverly

rjirtu

Polish - Poland
Hi,
Which adverb shall I use in the following sentence:

Yellow-necked mice climb up trees very cleverly/ably/skillfully/cleverly/well?

Would there be the same adverb in a sentence such as: "He was chopping the wood ..." or "he ... caught a small ball in his hands"

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    I would simply use "well."

"Cleverly" generally applies to mental activities, not physical activities.

"Skillfully" generally refers to activities that we learn, practice, or both. One might say "He plays basketball skillfully." Mice do not learn how to climb trees or practice climbing trees.

"Ably" might work, but it sounds wrong to me. It's not a common word.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    'Yellow necked mice can climb trees nimbly':thumbsup: There's a slightly different meaning but I like it better.

Would there be the same adverb in a sentence such as: "He was chopping the wood ..." or "he ... caught a small ball in his hands"
    Not with the adverb 'nimbly'. Of those you proposed ('cleverly/ably/skillfully//well'), only 'skillfully' might be used for both. (Or 'skilfully'- there seems to be an alternate spelling.)

Last edited:

Barque

Tamil
    If I knew, I wouldn't have asked...
    Yes, we all know that.:rolleyes: But when you ask about a question with multiple choices, you're supposed to at least try answering, and tell us what you think. It's in the rules, which you obviously haven't looked at.

sdgraham

USA English
    Living, as I do, among many types of critters that run up trees, the whole sentence seems odd to me.

We just say that mice, squirrels, etc. are able to run up trees.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I've never heard of them but they exist in Britain, horrible things, but not in Ireland. They carry hantavirus and encephalitis type of disease.

< Previous | Next >