to coerce someone <to> [NOUN PHRASE]

< Previous | Next >

park sang joon

Korean
* Ii Naosuke - one of the most powerful prime minister in modern era Japan
Ii Naosuke managed to coerce the Tokugawa Shogunate to its last brief resurgence of its power and position in Japanese society before the start of the Meiji period. Ii was assassinated in the Sakuradamon incident by a group of 17 Mito and 1 Satsuma samurai on March 24, 1860.[2]

<Source: "Ii Naosuke" in WIKIPEDIA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ii_Naosuke>
I'd like to know if I can use "to" in lieu of "into" for expressing the result of "coerce."
Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
  • wind-sky-wind

Japanese
    You can turn "to coerce somebody into doing" into "to coerce somebody to do."
    But you can't turn "to coerce somebody into some state" into "to coerce somebody to some state."

First, it's not appropriate to use "to coerce" in this case, from historical facts.
    If you turn "to coerce" into "to lead," it woud be correct in terms of both grammar and facts.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I found an example of 'coerced to' on the BNC: BNC Simple Search

"In Guatemala and Honduras there were large Indian populations, which the settlers coerced to clear and cultivate large estates."

There were 35 examples of 'coerced into'.

ADDED: I also found an example of 'coerce them to [INFINITIVE]':
    "Munich, in other words, was expressly orchestrated to destabilise public opinion at home, to terrify whole populations with the threat of war and coerce them to accept reactionary government measures in exchange for peace;(c) the British and French governments recoiled from inflicting the diplomatic humiliation on Hitler that would have resulted from resorting to the anti-fascist resistance offered by Washington and above all by Moscow." (BNC Simple Search)

However, the OP example is 'to coerce to [NOUN PHRASE]'.

Last edited:

park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, win-sky-wind and Beryl, for your very elaborate answer.:)
    I'd want to ask you one more thing.
    I'd like to know if you two helpers use the structure "coerce somebody to do something."

< Previous | Next >