1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

to come to prominence

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Anglo-Greek, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Anglo-Greek Senior Member

Tartu, Estonia
    English
    What's the best way to express "to come to prominence" (in the sense of "to become prominent", "to become well-known") in German. After a little research I came upon the term "hervor ragen", which I originally used in my essay, but my teacher said it didn't work without providing a correction. The context is "Freud ragte nur viel später hervor" ("Freud only came to prominence much later"). Obviously I could use "berühmt werden", but I was hoping there was a nicer phrase more analogous to the English "come to prominence" than just "become famous", which is a little blunter. I guess there's also a subtle difference between "prominent" and "famous" in English, as it's possible for an academic to be prominent within his field without really being famous... I suppose fame implies being popularly known, whereas prominence can be limited to a particular academic field, and as I'm discussing Freud's theories coming to be known to academia - rather than him becoming a household name - I'd like to be able to use a German term with a similar focus.

2. Resa Reader

Resa Reader Senior Member

As you don't want to use "berühmt werden" (and I can understand why), I'll try to give you another translation:

- Freud machte sich erst sehr viel später einen Namen (in der Fachwelt).

- Freud nahm erst sehr viel später eine herausragende Position in der Fachwelt ein.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  3. TylerC Member

North America
    English - North America
    Resa Reader's sich einen Namen machen ... strikes me as a really good suggestion for the context given above. I would go with it.

We also have: prominent werden and Prominenz erlangen