to concentrate on smth. / deal with a matter / pay attention

Zagga Dotchni

English - British
Native speakers of Russian please help!

"First, I will deal with this problem, and then I will be able to concentrate on other things"

or

"I will sort this out (first), and then I will concentrate on other things

or

"After I have dealt with this, I can concentrate on other things"

All the examples basically mean the same the same thing.

Background: for example, someone has a lot of priorities but some are more urgent than others. That person needs to sort out/deal with (решить?) /concentrate on / pay attention to some problems before he moves onto the next.

• Algue

Russian, Russia
    Сначала я решу эту проблему, а потом сосредоточу своё внимание на другом.
    Сначала я разберусь с этой проблемой (с этим), а потом займусь другими (другим).

Ptak

Rußland
    Сначала я решу эту проблему, а потом сосредоточу своё внимание на другом.
    "Сосредоточу своё внимание" is too verbose and bokish. I'd say "сосредоточусь на другом".

Q-cumber

"After I have dealt with this, I can concentrate on other things" = Как только я закончу (разберусь) с этим, я смогу уделить внимание другим вопросам (делам, темам, проблемам) / ...я смогу сконцентрироваться на других проблемах (задачах) /...я смогу всерьёз <in earnest, seriously> заняться другими делами.
    ...and so on.

Last edited:

Lady R.

russian

"First, I will deal with this problem, and then I will be able to concentrate on other things"

or

or

we can also say:
    "После того, как я разберусь с этим, я смогу заняться другими делами/сосредоточиться на другом".

Background: for example, someone has a lot of priorities but some are more urgent than others. That person needs to sort out/deal with (решить?) /concentrate on / pay attention to some problems before he moves onto the next.

or

or

Well, to me these examples mean almost the same too. As far as I have understood from your post you are asking about the translation of the expressions which you have listed and which you consider interchangeable in the context given. I suggest several possibilities:

1) Решить проблему
    2) Справиться с проблемой
    3) Преодолеть проблему

These are rather formal

4) Покончить с проблемой
    5) Разделаться с проблемой

These are either literary forms or informal (colloquial) phrases

Concerning the word "concentrate" in the second half of the sentence, I would translate it as

"Сосредоточиться на чем-то"

This variant, in my opinion, fits the context best.

< Previous | Next >