To continue much longer overwhelmed by business cares

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
Carnegie once wrote, "To continue much longer overwhelmed by business cares and with most of my thoughts wholly upon the way to make more money in the shortest time, must degrade me beyond hope of permanent recovery."

After reading it a few times, I finally figure out the meaning of the above sentence, but I still think it's not a good construction, especially the underlined part. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

• mjscott

American English
    Carnegie once wrote, "To continue much longer overwhelmed by business cares and with most of my thoughts wholly upon the way to make more money in the shortest time, must degrade me beyond hope of permanent recovery."

After reading it a few times, I finally figure out the meaning of the above sentence, but I still think it's not a good construction, especially the underlined part. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.
    If I were to continue in the state of being overwhelmed by business cares and obsessed with how to to make the most money in the shortest amount of time, it would degrade me beyond hope of permanent recovery.

< Previous | Next >