to convict someone of something

< Previous | Next >

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
I wonder if you tell me is this sentence's verbs has been used correctly or not?
The court convicted him of shoplifting and he was (condemned/ sentenced) to 6 months imprisonment.

• A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    "of' is correct. "Condemned" is very strong--one expects 30 yrs. or life or execution. "Sentenced" is neutral as regards time.

OP* The court convicted him of shoplifting and he was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment. {correct}
    Therefore according to your statements, as "death" is the most severe punishment, "Sentenced to death" does not make sense and instead it will be more rational to say "Condemned to death". Is it right? :)
    Meanwhile, what did you mean by regards time?! :confused:

Last edited:

Linkway

British English
    "Sentenced to" can be used with any period of incarceration (jail etc), any fine or other "punishment" by the court after conviction for a criminal offence such as "house arrest", deportation or "community service".

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    "Sentenced to" can be used with any period of incarceration (jail etc), any fine or other "punishment" by the court after conviction for a criminal offence such as "house arrest", deportation or "community service".
    Thank you Linkway; As I paid attention, you mean that "sentenced to" can be used for every legal decision about a person in the court, while "condemned to" can be used only for very severe decisions?! If so, your definition contradicts the thread #4! :)

kool-wind

British English
    Thank you Linkway; As I paid attention, you mean that "sentenced to" can be used for every legal decision about a person in the court, while "condemned to" can be used only for very severe decisions?! If so, your definition contradicts the thread #4! :)
    Read #4 again and you'll find that it says the same as #7.
    The point being that the word 'condemn' wouldn't be used for lesser sentences.
    'Sentence' is always right, 'condemn' is only used for serious punishment.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    Read #4 again and you'll find that it says the same as #7.
    The point being that the word 'condemn' wouldn't be used for lesser sentences.
    'Sentence' is always right, 'condemn' is only used for serious punishment.
    Thank you dear kool-wind
    I just did not realize the meaning of the word neutral in the thread#4; but fortunately now everything became clear :)

< Previous | Next >