'to cross to someone" : to give the mike to someone?

linuxo

French - France
Hi everyone!
This is an expresion that I've found in an IELTS practice exam.
The news anchor introduces a subject and gives voice to the reporter on site. She said: "And now we cross to Sophie Robert at the scene of today's major traffic accident."

I didn't found any other examples for this usage of "to cross to someone" (which seems to me to be "giving voice to someone", as suggested by Google translate).
Can someone confirm me this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

• heypresto

English - England
    It means 'to go across from the studio to our reporter at the scene of something'.

'To give voice' has an entirely different meaning. I don't know what Google was thinking. :confused:

linuxo

French - France
    Okay thanks a lot! 'give voice' was the translation of a translation, produced by Google... and it's not pretty! :)

Uncle Jack

British English
    "And now we cross to Sophie Robert at the scene of today's major traffic accident" sounds fine to me.
    'Go over' and 'hand over' work as well ('and now I'll hand over to' is the usual usage).

'Give voice to' + [someone] is an uncommon usage and doesn't mean the same thing.

'Give the mike to someone' only works if you are physically handing over the microphone, not switching to someone else's mike.

The Newt

English - US
    I suspect (but can't prove) that "cross to" in this sense is broadcasting and or filmmaking jargon (with the meaning being as indicated above).

sdgraham

USA English
    I suspect (but can't prove) that "cross to" in this sense is broadcasting and or filmmaking jargon (with the meaning being as indicated above).
    I spent some time in American radio broadcasting and "cross to" is totally bizarre to me.

Haven't we found that some of these "IELTS practice exams" are written by non-native speakers?

< Previous | Next >