to deflect, to swerve, to deviate

Bormer

Italian
Hi guys, any idea to what the differences between "to deflect, to swerve and to deviate" are?
To me those sound the same....
The shot of the striker was deflected / The shot of the striker was swerved / The shot of the striker was deviated

Is it always interchangeble?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Bormer

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    The shot of the striker was deflected. :tick:
    The shot of the striker was swerved. :cross:
    The shot of the striker was deviated. :cross:
    I suppose you're talking about cricket, with which this American is unfortunately unfamiliar—so perhaps the verbs "to swerve" and "to deviate" have been changed from intransitive to transitive in this parlance, making my assessment incorrect.

Bormer

Italian
    I suppose you're talking about cricket, with which this American is unfortunately unfamiliar—so perhaps the verbs "to swerve" and "to deviate" have been changed from intransitive to transitive in this parlance, making my assessment incorrect.
    Thanks for the response. The dictionary says that swerve may be both intransitive and transitive.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/swerve
    Is maybe one more formal than the other?

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Thanks for the link. Although it says "tr. & intr.v. swerved, swerv·ing, swerves," none of the examples given show transitive usage. So I remain unconvinced. :confused: I'll check my OED and get back to you.
    Welcome to the forum, Bormer.

sound shift

English - England
    If a shot deflects, it hits something/someone.
    If a shot swerves, its trajectory changes, without it hitting anything/anyone.

"The shot deflected off a defender and rolled into the net." :tick:
    "The shot swerved off a defender and rolled into the net." :cross:

(I assume we are talking about football (BrE)/soccer (AmE) because of your use of the word "striker".)

< Previous | Next >