To delute (dilute) in someone's life

Yaroslava

Russian
In Russian language there's an expression "to delute in someone's life", it means to devote yourself to a person and forget about your personal interests. So, the question is this: Can I use the verb " to delute" to express this idea?

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I agree with TT - it does not exist in any of the usual online dictionaries. And I can't think of a single word which means what you describe.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    From another (now-deleted) thread you posted asking an identical question, it appears you meant to ask about the word "dilute." If so, please give us the complete sentence in which you would use the word, with some context.

Yaroslava

Russian
    "I think you shouldn't be so close to her, I can understand she's your best friend, you deal with all her troubles, you always run to her once she calls you, I guess you are diluting in her life". Something like that

dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    In that context, "dilute" isn't the word you want. "Dilute" means to reduce the strength of something. For example, you dilute coffee - reduce its strength - by adding more water.

Is the word or expression you're looking for a negative? That it's not a good thing to be so heavily involved in her life?

Barque

Tamil
    You could also "immerse yourself" in something but that term is usually used for an activity that you're interested in.

Packard

USA, English
    I'd say not. I don't know an English verb 'to delute'.
    I would assume it meant to rid yourself of your stringed instruments, but having read further I would suggest "obsessed" in its various forms. It seems to fit most closely.

You are obsessing so much over that girl you've forgotten all your friends.

You are obsessed; she's not worth throwing your life away like this.

< Previous | Next >