to develop a disgust for something

< Previous | Next >

dziecko_we_mgle

Polish
Hello!

I'm writing a text about cannibalism in pre-Columbian Mexico which disgusted the Spanish conquistadors, but, in fact, it was a common practice also in the Old World many years ago. And here I have a sentence which is a bit problematic to me:

What differed the pre-Columbian peoples of Mexico from their European contemporaries was only that the Mexicans hadn’t developed a disgust for these rituals by that time yet.

Could anyone tell me if the sentence sounds OK? Is it correct to say "to develop a disgust for something"?

Thanks a lot for your help!

• vamink

English-England
    sounds ok but it's probably better to use "distaste" rather then "disgust".

*edit* then again distaste might not be strong enough, it's your call :)

Harry Batt

USA English
    repulsion? Distaste leaves room for some persons to acquire a taste much as some persons acquire a taste for hard liquor. Disgust seems like a universal trait;everyone loves a lover unless his love is only 12 years old. Repulsion is a feeling that everyone seems to acquire without any argument.

Ferrydog

English
    I tend to agree with the foregoing responders but I have a bit of trouble with the word 'differed'. It sounds a bit odd as presented. I think I would use 'differentiated' in its place.

boozer

Bulgarian
    I have a small problem with "by that time" and "yet" which mean exactly the same thing here. One, I believe, should be skipped. Also, in a formal text, you don't use contracted forms like hadn't.

JamesM

(I would use "distinguished" rather than "differed".)

I wonder if "taboo" might be a more appropriate word for the context rather than "disgust", "repulsion" or "distaste."

Packard

USA, English
    (I would use "distinguished" rather than "differed".)

I wonder if "taboo" might be a more appropriate word for the context rather than "disgust", "repulsion" or "distaste."

I agree, but you'd have to rephrase it a bit:

What differentiated the pre-Columbian peoples of Mexico from their European contemporaries was only that the Mexicans had not yet considered cannibalism taboo and the Europeans had done so far earlier.

< Previous | Next >