to do a number two

< Previous | Next >

Carrie B

Spain Spanish
Hi everybody!

I've heard this expression in a series: some girls are talking about going to the toilet, but not to pee, I guess.
Is it a way to say that you are going to the toilet to defecate?
Is it polite, rude, funny, very colloquial...?

Thank you in advance!

• Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Yes, you are right. I'm trying to think though, how you would classify it. I guess you would say it is funny, colloquial (definitely!) and a little bit rude (but not terribly rude). You would definitely not use this in a medical context!

elirlandes

Ireland English
    I would say this is not rude at all. It is a way very polite people in Ireland talk to children to avoid saying anything like "poo" etc. "Number two" is the most child friendly, non-rude way of saying this. "Number one" is the same, but for "peeing".

Carrie B

Spain Spanish
    Thank you, Tegs!
    I won't definitely say it to my doctor ;) Only to my closest friends, perhaps? :)
    Are there any other colloquial expressions to express the same "idea"?
    Thank you very much :)

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Hmm, yes I suppose elirlandes is right - it is one of the least rude ways of saying that, but at the same time, it's generally not something that would come up in a conversation, so if a person were to say "Right, I'm off to do a number two!" in the middle of a nice conversation, I would be a bit taken aback. So, I still think it's a bit rude, but then, the entire topic can be put under a "rude" category, so to speak :D

elirlandes

Ireland English
    Yes - it is how my mother (71 years old and very formal speaker) talks to my daughter (3 years old).

Are there other colloquial ways to say it? More than I could count! ... depending on how rude or not you wish to get.

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    As for other expressions Carrie B, nothing that is even nearly as polite as "number two" springs to mind - everything else involves words like crap and shit, which are heading towards the "very rude" side of the spectrum :D Although "poo" mentioned by elirlandes, is also relatively mild...

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Regarding your previous message: You could use "number two" to talk to friends your own age (if that is the sort of thing you talk about! :D). I think probably little children would say "poo" instead, but I'm not sure.

Carrie B

Spain Spanish
    I think I got it, Tegs!
    I agree that the topic is not nice, and definitely you don't have to tell your friends what you're going to do in the toilet ;) Sometimes it's better to shut up :) ...but I had to ask.
    Thank you very much

Back in the day, I used to say:
    Excuse me, I have to wash my hands =#1 and I have to powder my nose =#2... Was just being silly, not sure how correct this was, but among my circle of Queenie friends, they got it!

< Previous | Next >