to do an effort vs to make an effort

luisg

Español - Colombia
Hi all, can you please tell me wich one of these expressions is right (or preferred) and explain why?

I'm doing my best effort to learn english
or
I'm making my best effort to learn english

Thanks.

• jpyvr

English - Canadian
    I'm making my best effort to learn English is correct. The collocation is "to make an effort." However, it is equally correct to say "I'm doing my best to learn English," as "to do one's best" is another accepted collocation.

Last edited:

Natalisha

Russian
    Welcome to the forum, Luisg!:)
    We use the verb to make with the word effort

to make an effort
    to make efforts

emanko

Arabic- Egyptian
    I noticed that the word effort in dictionaries has two meanings: exerting physical activity and attempting to do something.
    So if we say "I made an effort", will this mean "I tried" or "I did physical or mental activity"?
    If it means I tried, which verb can we use with effort in the following sentence?
    "The orders are delivered to your home without needing to (make-do) any effort."

Thank you

emanko

Arabic- Egyptian
    Thank you.
    I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough. In my example sentence, I used "effort" to mean "physical activity", i.e "We will deliver the order and you won't need to do any physical activity". Will the intended meaning be clear if I said "needing to make any effort" or does it only mean "attempt" here?

The reason I'm asking whether "make an effort" would be understood as "do physical activity" is that "make an effort" in dictionaries is defined as "to try to do something" and not to do physical activity. So, I want to be sure of the meaning of the expression.

JamesM

Well, to be frank, neither option is how I would expect it to be expressed. Are these heavy items? Are the people delivering these items also setting them up in the home as part of the delivery? Please give us more details on the situation.

Here in the U.S. it would be redundant to say that items delivered to your home will require no effort on your part. Home delivery is home delivery. It sounds as odd to me as "I will pour you some coffee with no effort on your part." The former implies the latter.

The only common exceptions are appliances and furniture which might require installation or assembly.

emanko

Arabic- Egyptian
    Thank you. I get your point.
    I'm trying to highlight the fact that it's going to be much easier to order the item than to shop for it yourself.