to DO vs. to be DOING

< Previous | Next >

hazarman

Polish
Hi!

I wonder what the difference is between these two sentences. (In meaning of course. Explain it descriptively)

A) X company is having to rely on intensive sales techniques but these do not appear to be working. OR
An individual's behaviour may depend on what he or she perceives others in society to be doing.

B) X company is having to rely on intensive sales techniques but these do not appear to work. OR
An individual's behaviour may depend on what he or she perceives others in society to do.

Thank you in advance!
I puzzle my head over it.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum. :)

My interpretation: The (B) sentences are general statements. The (A) sentences refer to what's happening at a particular time.

All of the sentences are grammatically correct.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I don't understand the use of the infinitive of the "do".
    = An individual's behaviour may depend on what (he or she perceives) others in society are doing/do.
    :confused:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Both "perceives [someone] to be doing" and "perceives [someone] is doing" are correct, Vik. They're just two ways to say the same thing, as you'll find so often in English. The writer can choose which to use.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Both "perceives [someone] to be doing" and "perceives [someone] is doing" are correct, Vik. They're just two ways to say the same thing, as you'll find so often in English. The writer can choose which to use.
    Let's replace the noun with a pronoun (I just want to know if it's the complex object):
    he or she perceives they to do/be doing
    he or she perceives them to do/be doing
    It's the latter, am I right?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    he or she perceives they to do/be doing
    he or she perceives them to do/be doing
    It's the latter, am I right?
    :thumbsup: Yes, you are. Them is the object of the verb perceives. If you were to start a new clause, introduced by "that", you'd use "they": He perceived them to be riding bicycles. BUT: He perceived that they were riding bicycles.

< Previous | Next >