to draw up a program

Wookie

Korea, Korean
''It would be neither fitting nor efficacious for this government to undertake to draw up unilaterally a program designed to place Europe on its feet economically,'' Marshall said in a speech on June 5, 1947. ''This is the business of the Europeans. The initiative, I think, must come from Europe.'' (source)

According to the Cambridge Dictionary, draw up means to prepare something, usually something official, in writing: I've drawn up a list of candidates that I'd like to interview.
But I don't think this fits to the example. A program is a plan and not something in writing like a contract, a will, etc, right?

Which meaning of "draw up" fits to this example above?

• Joelline

American English
    Hi,

You're right that a program is a plan, but I'm not sure why you think that a program cannot be in writing. In fact most programs are "drawn up" in writing in all stages of their development. The most common meaning of "to draw up" is to prepare it very carefully in writing. This meaning fits your example quite well, I think.

machadinho

Português do Brasil
    Hi. What exactly does the author mean by to draw up to? Is it just to set them before the reader's view?
    It is this Talent of affecting the Imagination, that gives an Embellishment to good Sense, and makes one Man's Compositions more agreeable than another's. [...] It has something in it like Creation; It bestows a kind of Existence, and draws up to the Reader's View several Objects which are not to be found in Being. (Spectator 1712, n. 421)
    Thanks! :)

< Previous | Next >