To drink long, cool draughts

< Previous | Next >

hhtt

Turkish
"Behind shuttered Windows of inns and taverns, white men drank long, cool draughts, and talked of many things."

Source: Black Jade

In the above sentence, I cannot determine the meaning of draught because there are six of them. Would you like to explain it please?

Thank you.

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    The reference to inns and taverns should give you a clue.

It refers to (from the WR dictionary) something drunk; a drink or more specifically, beer or ale drawn from a keg.

Cross-posted.

hhtt

Turkish
    I know what is draught beer but why did it write draught but not draught beer in the book? Because it is not stated, it might be something other than beer, for example wine. And I cannot understand how draught beers can be long?

Thank you.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Did you see the first definition that I referred to? It can also mean "a drink". From the reference to a "long, cool draught", it probably referred to beer in this case.

hhtt

Turkish
    Did you see the first definition that I referred to? It can also mean "a drink". From the reference to a "long, cool draught", it probably referred to beer in this case.
    Yes, I have looked the definitions but I cannot still understand how a drink can be long?

Thank you.

hhtt

Turkish
    I understand the sentence but I have some hesitations for other words related to draught so I would like to ask that which of these words can we use instead of draught for this context

1) cup
    2) dose
    3) drench
    4) drink
    5) potion

Source: peter haddock publishing english thesaurus.
    Thank you.

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I would say that 'drink' is the closest. We assume is in a container, such as a glass.

It is a 'long' draught, because it is a tall glass, as Miss Julie says. To me, 'long' also suggests that it takes a long time to drink.

< Previous | Next >